Wednesday, February 15, 2012

ACCOUNTABILITY

We all need it and I am so blessed to have it....in multiple areas in my life and from multiple people.
It takes a special kind of person to be willing to hold you accountable to the important things in your life. 
They have to be willing to NOT except your excuses.
They have to be willing to check in with you.
They have to push you at times you may not want it.
They have to remind you that you are WORTH it on the days you find yourself questioning it.

And after saying all of that, I find myself even more grateful for the incredible people who have chosen to stand by me and help me to reach the goals that I have set for myself.  I would not be where I am now without each and every one of them and I would not have the motivation to continue to dream big dreams and set increasingly more challenging goals without knowing that they have my back.

I have been going to a local gym for about a year and a half now and in that short time I've noticed there are a few different groups of people.  There is the group that starts off....they are motivated, they work hard, and many of them get incredible results.  The thing is, they don't find people to connect with.
People who will miss them if they don't show up for a group exercise class.
People who will call/text/facebook them if they haven't seen them in a while.
People to smile and laugh with.
People to share their goals and struggles with...
They work hard, put in the effort, but don't have the support of accountability.

There is another group that may start off anywhere from a sprint to a walk....but as time goes on, they continue to grow in momentum.  They find others who are in the group exercise classes that they enjoy.  They take the time to get to know some of them.  They seek out and also offer encouragement when needed.  They find and give accountability.  They find joy in having a support system and reach out to others in the process.

This is one of the groups that I've found, makes it for the long haul.  No matter where their journey started, they are able to find joy and success in not only their accomplishments but also the accomplishments of others.

Accountability has so much to do with it, and I am blessed to have friends in my life that care enough about me to keep me accountable to the goals that I have set for myself.

One of the best pieces of advice I can leave you with for your fitness journey is to do the same.  Find a few people, and they don't need to be your family members or best friends.  Sometimes they 'let us off the hook' too easily.  Find people that will hold you to your goals; people you are willing to be 100% open and honest with.  It can make all the difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment